Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Wonderful Days - Sept 22, 23, 24

I've kept brief notes on each of these days, but I can already tell that I won't find time to complete daily additions to the blog. Therefore, I am going to summarize all these days. First let me start by saying that the weather has been absolutely beautiful. Previously I noted that we had enjoyed an 84 degree day -- but I have since learned that my conversion was not correct. All our days have been sunny and warm with temperatures in the 70's (I mistyped 20 degrees celcius as 29 degrees to get the conversion of 84. The correct conversion should have been 20 degrees C equals about 68 degrees F). Each day has been filled with many wonderful family visits along with ample time by ourselves to explore the local marketplace -- which is always fun. Rather than chronological order, I am going to just summarize these days' activities:
1. Our routine has been breakfast with G & V. Sometimes only G has been there because V has been busy about picking grapes for the production of grappa. The breakfast has been the standard of bread and wonderful cheeses, and coffee.

2. We've been to the local department/grocery store several times as both dad and I enjoy browsing the shelves comparing and contrasting what is the same, what is just similar and what things are completely different. Same for the prices. I have likened the store to a Target in the USA. It is a rather complete department and grocery store combined on two levels. Dad goes his way and I go mine -- with an agreement of where and when to meet. The store is called Carre Foure. Visiting there has been great fun.

3. We've enjoyed wonderful meals with G&V, Marco and Emma, Rein and his family (all familiar to me from Deb and my prior trips) and an additional family member Claudio Facchi and his wife Teresita. I'll write a separate entry about Claudio because he and his relationship to us is not covered in my previous posting about the Giorgi family tree. The meals have been both the familiar (polenta and pizza) and a first time experience of eating horse meet prepared 3 different ways. All meals have been delicious.

4. We visited the waterfront area in the town of Ascona -- a relaxing and beautiful area.

5. We walked around the village of Gordevio -- taking time to more closely examine the houses and flora.

6. Rein and I spent an afternoon in Locarno visiting the central plaza and strolling along the waterfront, the train station and some of the city streets. I also visited Rein and his family at Nathalie's house one evening.

7. We sat in front of G & V's house sipping wine and visiting with Gordevio locals -- some family, some not.

8. We attended church in Gordevio with G & V and Marco and Emma, and afterwards visited with Marco and Emma's daughter Doris and her husband Orlando and their youngest child Giuseppi (who is Neal's age).

9. In our travels/walks we ran into and had brief conversations with the Giglio sons Mauro and Enrico and Enrico's wife Myriam, as well as Marco and Emma's daugher Monica and Monica's husband Mario.

10. We've enjoyed plenty of delicious food and wine, many laughs and incredible warmth and love from everyone. Dad seems to have been completely energized by the visit -- and it is easy to see why people here comment that he hasn't changed or grown older since his last visit years ago. Every moment I am here I wish I knew more of the language -- but I also enjoy a comfort level with both the people and the driving that is familiar from this being my third trip in as many years.

No comments: