Sunday, September 9, 2007

Giorgi Family Tree - "Cliffs Note" Version

I hesitate on the use of "Cliffs Note" reference expecting that more recent generations may be wondering what I am saying. I guess in more recent parlance I should have entitled this "Family Tree For Dummies." In either case, it is not my intention here to provide the details but to provide the most brief overview for reference to the names that may appear in this blog. For any who may be interested in the details, I'd be happy to send you an electronic copy (Word file) of a descendants charting of the Giorgi tree starting with first known patriarch Carlo Giorgi born in 1803 (compiled by Dad and which I have updated with information I have collected during my trips).

Carlo had seven children but the descendants whom I have met are the offspring of only two, born 3rd - Maria and 4th - Bernardo.

The Holland branch: Maria Giorgi married a man with the same last name and their first child was Silvestro Giorgi. Silvestro, born in 1877, emigrated to Holland where his fifth child (born in 1919) had three children in my generation: Kryn (Rein), Johanna (Joke) and Elisabeth (Els). I'll devote a separate posting to Rein and his family because of his/his family's significance to our journeys to Switzerland. In addition, Deb and I had the pleasure of meeting Joke and her husband and son when they traveled to Morro Bay. We hope to someday travel to Holland (or have them come visit us) to get to know them better.

The Switzerland branch: Now back to Carlo's 4th child, Bernardo. Bernardo oldest child was my paternal grandmother, Olimpia Maria, born in 1888 -- this was my "Nana" whom I wrote about previously. Bernardo's third child (my Nana's sister) was mother to several including:

- now deceased Giglio (who I previously wrote about -- the first one to greet dad in Lucerne) and who has three children Enrico, Mauro and Anna in my generation.
- living in Gordevio with their husbands -- Giuseppina (husband - Vittorio) and Emma (husband - Marco). Giuseppina, Vittorio, Emma and Marco are the only four remaining in Gordevio from my dad's generation. I'll be writing more about them and their children because of their significance to our journeys.
- now deceased Felice Geremia (referred to as Geremia) who has three children, Marie-Therese ("Teresita"), Fernando and Pierangelo. We have not yet had the opportunity to meet Teresita but like Rein mentioned above, Fernando and Pierangelo figure prominently in our journeys and I will be writing more about them and Pierangelo's wife and sons.

[Note: It is the above noted Holland and Switzerland branches that I'll be writing about in this blog but I must also note that there is another California branch: another sister of my Nana, Adelina Giorgi, also emigrated to California and settled in the Sonoma area. She died in 1990 but has many descendants living in California. I always knew her as Aunt Lena Giorgi which distinquished her from another Aunt Lena, my grandfather's sister. I do not personally know Aunt Lena Giorgi's offspring -- but know of them and know that some of them have kept up their Gordevio ties as well. My journey's to Gordevio and getting to know the family there has made me want to similarly make the effort to know the Sonoma part of the family as well.]

3 comments:

Neal Tognazzini said...

I'm already enjoying these posts, and am learning things I didn't know before. Thanks! Can't wait to hear more.

Debi said...

I'm enjoying them as well. I think it's a great idea and will be an unmatchable memento of your "trip of a lifetime." (That's how I still feel about our blog from our time in Germany.)

Also, reading the first few lines I thought, "What is he talking about? Us younger generations know what Cliffs Notes are!" This was quickly followed by the realization that I may not qualify as "younger generation" enough anymore. Egads! (See, just using words like "egads" pretty much confirms it.)

Love you, safe travels to CA.

Neal Tognazzini said...

Speaking as an educator (!), I can assure you that Cliff's Notes are still all over the place -- at least in college. Good ol' Cliff.